I always say that our pollution and convenience based lifestyles are killing the planet – but as a friend of mine corrected me recently: we are not killing the planet, we are killing life. That really stuck with me. Especially because our existence hangs in the balance of all life on this planet.
As an adventurer I love exploring all the beautiful sights and places mother nature has. But I also know that it is my responsibility to help maintain her. So here are a couple of things you can start doing right now to contribute.
1. Always bring a reusable bag or two when you go shopping. Leave one in the car and one in the house so you won’t find yourself without one.
2. I have been using eco friendly straws (stainless steel) for the last 7 or so years and with many countries starting to ban the plastic ones, it’s a great time to make the switch. There are lots more options out there today as well!
3. Reduce your plastic bottle usage by switching to a reusable one. They even have neat ones that contain a filter so you can fill it up anywhere from any tap!
4. If you must use disposable plates/cutlery etc, at least make sure they are eco-friendly/recyclable.
5. On that note – get 2 recycling bins: one for the kitchen and one for the bathroom and start separating waste!
6. While you’re separating waste, there are great services that provide compost pick-ups. Your biodegradable kitchen waste shouldn’t end up in a landfill but turned into dirt (by those who know what they’re doing, unless you are somewhat of a gardener, which I certainly am not 😊 )
7. And above all, pick up plastic and trash you find by the shore, on hikes, at the beach, etc. It may be a small thing, but it’s a few pieces less polluting the planet.
So there you go. 7 steps you can implement immediately to help make a little bit of a change. Most of us feel that our individual actions won’t make a big impact on helping the environment – but it is this thinking that prevents big change. Because if we all do little things, they will certainly add up.